View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: OBDII scanner recommendations

Originally Posted by Padgett
I'll put something together but as yet there is no One True Controller and my funding for different ones to test is limited.

What happened was that terminology changed but not sure about controller as the Supplimental Restraint System (SRS) became the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and yes it added knee air bags but already had two in the front and two in the sides so just went from four to six.

That said the communications changed so you do not communicate with the ORC the same way you do with the SRS and older systems cannot communicate with the later ones.

So the bottom line is that if you have an '04 to '06, the Autel is the most versatile (and can talk to my '12 Jeep GC). OTOH if you have an '07 or '08 then only the iCarSoft MB-II is able to communicate but cannot export the findings (every other scan tool has a way).

Then there is the new iCarsoft MB V1.0 which may fix the shortcomings of the MB-II and the Launch CRP123 which may do all of the above but I have not examined one.
The SRS is the same as the OCR, they are used interchangeably with one another. You mention “one true controller” to what do you refer? Is that the hand held fault reader or the SRS/ORC? You will find the SRS symbol on all years I believe.
The knee bags will come into use when the front bags are deployed.
I find you use too many acronyms in your posts and this could lead to confusion and possible harm, the ones used here are fine more or less as you explain them, OTOH some of your posts are unintelligible because the acronym is not commonly used and may be just your own, IMHO. Most people on here use very few acronyms, so WYSIWYG.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-02-2018 at 05:21 AM.