Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM
bhindzioncurtain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car radio with NAV blocks my garmin gps signal

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I gotta tell ya, this is an odd one. Your NAV head does not transmit any signal, neither does your Garmin, they both simply listen to the 1.5 gHz signal from the sky.

Each receiver's local oscillator will radiate a TINY amount, but I can't see that radiation being enough to cause the mixer in either to mask.

I'd REALLY like to see a demo of this. I"m sitting in the lunchroom with the former head of R&D who holds a Master's in EE and has several RF-related patents on antenna design and when I described this one to him, he looked like I felt: "What the hell????"...................

Just to be clear: You refer to the "radio/NAV" - is this unit the factory one or an aftermarket replacement?
Yes, it is the factory radio with NAV. I have no need to buy a manual since I downloaded it already and couldn''t find anything about turning it off. When I press the NAV button it asks for the CD to be inserted. I am away from the car, out of town but on the right side of the display there is GPS data such as says something about the gps on the first line, the the next two lines down have letters a semi colon then zero. When I get home I can take a short video but don't know how you can view it?
Should I move this to troubleshooting or am I fine in this area?