View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Halo819
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Pearl Blue Limited Roadster

Unfortunately once I actually got to look at the car it turned out to be quite a giant piece of crap.
Dirty, mistreated and most of all completely butchered.
The headlights were hammered and there was no way to polish them out. Even if you could they were cracked. their mechanic said that it was no big deal that I could get a set of Halos in ebay for $100! LOL
I told him that I wasn't 22 and there was no way halos were getting installed. He wasn't happy when I googled the headlight assemblies and told him it was more like $470-$660 each.
The idiots in the car lot actually tore out the center console to "replace" the stereo. This left the shifter bezel as a new improved floating type that jumped all over whenever you shifted gears because the ashtray was missing and the bezel for the
passenger airbag along with the power outlet were long gone and nowhere to be seen.
I found out exactly why the convertible top was inoperative, the wiring harness was totally shredded and hanging all over the place and they actually cut the cables for the tips on the tourneau top and removed them!!!
I discovered all of this while lowering the top manually. I was able to get it down when no one was looking. I could not believe what I was seeing in there! I've been involved in mechanics since 1980 and I've never seen work like this! It was if they were intentionally sabotaging this car.
I found 1 oily old intake manifold gasket in the trunk. NOT in a bag or wrapped up in any way but just laying on the floor of the trunk. I asked their mechanic why the old gasket was in the trunk and he told me that he replaced it. Only one gasket was replaced.
I do the dash trick to see how long until the next oil change and it was just a few hundred miles. I was told that the car had been serviced and ready to go for the full 1000 mile trip home. If they changed the oil I'm 100% positive that it has some no name 10W-40 in the crankcase.
While I'm going through my inspection my wife was standing there just shaking her head as I was grumbling the whole while.
Then the salesman and mechanic and their detail guy came over to try to strong sell the car to me.
They started out very happy that I was able to get the top down, then the salesman made the mistake of asking me what I thought of the car. Seeing as how I flew down to Orlando from Long Island and then drover to Jacksonville to see this butchered piece of garbage I decided to start from the front bumper, which had a chunk tore out of it from getting hooked on something, and let go with a litany of just the most obvious problems. These three guys just stood there slack jawed while I went of for at least 15 minutes. Then the detail guy tells me to take it for a ride because it "moves real good!" Since every rim was scuffed and the car had mismatched no name brand of tires I ever heard of I politely explained that they couldn't pay me to drive this butchered car. They seemed absolutely astounded.
I told the dealer that I wouldn't be taking the car and that I needed my deposit back. He tried to give me a check and then I had him just charge it back to my credit card instead.
He was thrilled that the top was down and stated that he would just cover the car with a tarp to display it with the top down. I just nodded and got back into my rental car with my wife and drove away. I'll never fly anywhere to look at a car again.
We ended up driving home in the rental car and actually made a nice trip of it stopping in Savannah and DC for a few days.
Now I'm going to take a look at a Pontiac Solstice which is very close to home. Lol

I want to thank everyone on this forum for all of your help and all of the excellent articles which have been extraordinarily helpful to me in evaluating this vehicle.
I do have a brand new Bosch crankshaft sensor still in the box. I obviously no longer need it and I'm willing to send it to a forum member for $25. Send me a PM.