View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM
liljay
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Misfire at High Speeds

As promised I would post the resolution to my problem. I had almost resolved to having a crossfire that would misfire at high speeds/WOT. I noticed water drops that appeared to be some type of coolant leak and was spraying the engine compartment. I could see it on the secondary air pump bracket, the oil filter housing, but not the thermostat. I did not want to think it was the coolant temperature sensor, but it was leaking due to the o'ring and it has 403,000 miles on it. I had never changed this sensor. I change the sensor and at first it misfired again under load. I thought oh well. I left the check engine light on. The next morning instead of taking the roadster I decided to take the coupe and what do you know. I started it up and let the secondary air pump switch off and then drove off. About mile down the road I noticed the MIL was out. I decided to attempt to cause a misfire. 100 miles and 110mph later I'm glad to report no misfires.

I did a bit of research and found that the ECU adjusts the fuel ratio mixture according to the temperature of the engine, which is read from the coolant temperature sensor. Easy $17.00 fix. Only takes about 20 mins if that.

Jack car and secure with Jack stands
Connect 3/8inch(I think) hose to the radiator drain nozzle
Place the other end of hose in a 2 gallon plastic fuel container
Open radiator drain plug, let drain until it stops. (for me about 1 1/2 gallon) Close drain plug.
Disconnect hose.
Disconnect electrical connector to coolant temperature sensor
Remove clip from sensor with flat head screw driver by prying upward
Pull sensor out and do not forget to remove and replace the o'ring.
Install in reverse order.

Reuse coolant by simply pouring it back in the overflow tank. It should all return.