View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 AM
dedwards0323
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default DS Wiper Arm Grommet

I took the time this morning to remove the DS Wiper Arm and remove the rubber grommet I installed last fall. Due to the misalignment between the cowl opening and the DS wiper arm spindle, I wanted to open up the hole more than I did last fall (didn't want to remove the cowling) to allow the grommet to fit & look better. I used a small linoleum knife (had to sharpen it up some to cut thru the cowling) to open up the hole. I followed onehunder80's lead and used a fender washer positioned over the wiper arm drive spindle to draw an outline of the required opening (or something relatively close). I then slowly worked my way around the outline slicing out small sections to produce the required opening. Had to check fitment & appearance as I got close to finishing up the hole enlargement to make sure I didn't remove too much cowling material. Final hole wasn't the most round-looking result, but once the grommet was installed, one would never know that fact. Re-installed the DS wiper arm and re-torqued nut to 19 N-m per Shop Manual.

Piece of advice, when removing the wiper arm using a small puller, make sure the hood is in the extended vertical position so you have ample room to raise the wiper arm. With the wiper arm raised, the fastening point is aligned perpendicular to the spindle shaft (no side load from the wiper arm pressing down against the windshield). That way when you apply pressure with the puller, the wiper arm will lift straight up and comes off really easy. Reverse this when re-installing the wiper arm. After making sure the wiper arm will rest in the location you want, and installing the nut just enough to keep the wiper arm from coming off the spindle, slowly raise the wiper while holding the mounting point to prevent it from moving. Tighten up the nut and torque to spec. That way when applying the required torque, the wiper arm will be perpendicular to the spindle shaft, avoiding any side load as you tighten down. Lower the wiper arm first & then lower the hood (imperative to do this in this sequence!- don't ask how I know!! ). Check the wipers for proper operation. I always recommend lowering the hood before checking wiper operation & place something over the hood's back edge on the DS (I use a small drying towel to provide protection not only along the edge but also covers the rear section of the hood on the DS). If the wiper arm isn't secured properly, it gets "real ugly" quick when the wiper arm tries to come off the spindle!

Final check - With the hood lowered & secured, raise the DS wiper arm and make sure there is clearance in the raised position between the wiper arm & the hood.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-12-2018 at 06:47 PM.