View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 02:19 AM
gkarr45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Originally Posted by Padgett
Can think of a number of possibilities but what was the voltage reading when the light came on ? "And the voltage is right at 14.5 all the time except upon acceleration when the SC comes on".

SC clutch probably pulls 10 amps. Is the battery light brighter with the headlamps on ?

One possibility is an open diode in the Alternator - will work but not at full rated power. Probably needs a load test with a clamp on DC Ammeter.
Padgett: The voltage is a steady 14.5 all the time except when I accelerate. It's drops to 12volts on acceleration. And stays there until I let off. Let off, it jumps back to 14.5. At steady speed no light. Light doesn't seem brighter when lights on and voltage also is same whether lights on or off. But hard acceleration the dash lights and all lights flicker... indicating a problem electrically. The battery is new, alternator new, but I haven't checked to see if possibly it is bad for odd reasons. I am going to take to Autozone or someone tomorrow and have them check that despite it being new. But the odd phenomenom of acceleration and voltage drop is puzzling as it seems to be related to SC kicking in. Does load test need to be done on bench or can it be done on car?

Last edited by gkarr45; 05-28-2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: additional question