View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM
CMSgtJB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Well, the deed is done. Tried to pull the rear glass out Thursday. Like I said in my previous post the top of the glass was already separated and whoever had the car before me did a sloppy job gluing the sides and bottom of the glass. It wasn't too difficult separating the canvas from the sides of the glass but the bottom is held on like iron. I'm a-thinkin' the bottom is still original and the previous owner just ran a bead of glue along the edge like he was caulking a window. The glue used looks like old Elmer's carpenter glue - amber, transparent, brittle. The sides were previously repaired with 1/2" double-sided weather striping like you might find at Lowes then he "caulked" with Elmers --- not a great choice but it held for awhile. So, I cleaned everything up Thursday and waited for the 3M One-Step Primer and Window-Weld to arrive on Friday. This morning I cleaned the edge of the glass one more time, put on the primer, positioned the glass in place against the top with a furniture blanket and a few throw-pillows (wrapped in garbage bags) wedged between the glass and the roll-bars and went to work. I finished gluing in the window by taping the top to the glass with Gorilla Tape to ensure the canvas doesn't pull back any before the Window-Weld cures.

I'd have gone for a new BAS top as suggested by ala-xfire but 1 - I'm cheap, 2 - I just bought this car three months ago, and 3 - the top looks to be in pretty good shape except for the previous sloppy job re-gluing the sides of the glass.

Early tomorrow morning we head off on a week-long trip so the Window-Weld will have a week to cure before I pull the tape and see if it works. If it does - great; if it doesn't - I guess it will be time to call BAS.