View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM
HPMotors1
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter Issue or ?

Well, does not appear to be the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
A correction to my first post on this thread. It was not a WIX filter, but a made in Germany Mann Filter WK 720 that was installed to replace the Chrysler/MB original unit. The second replacement was a MB filter, number A 002 477 30 01 actually made in Germany. Installing the new filter made no difference in the cranking issue, therefore the check valve in the filter/regulator does not appear to be the problem. Oetiker clamps were again used.

I've attached pictures which are of the filter/regulator and hoses. On photo 2375, there is metal canister installed inline - this is outlined in a red circle. It is inline with the fuel line going from the filter/regulator to the fuel rail/engine. Any idea what this is?

Another attachment, labeled fuel system schematic, is from page 14-2 (volume 2 of 3) of the factory shop manual. Note that this schematic does NOT show this gizmo. Alternately, page 14-10 is another drawing which does show the thing but does not identify it.

Reading elsewhere in the manual, it suggests 1 of three potential problems. 1) check valve in filter/regulator is bad - changed it already, so probably not it. 2) check valve in fuel pump is bad 3) leak in lines 4) leak in one or more injectors. Items 2,3 & 4 require testing pressure at the test port on the fuel rail - Snap on dude comes Tuesday mornings so I will get the correct adapter to fit my tester so I can do more tests.

Besides waiting on Snap On, anyone have an idea what the thing inside the red circle is?

Should have left the dang thing alone!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2375_LI.jpg (3.37 MB, 15 views)
fuel pressure regulator.jpg (1.51 MB, 16 views)