View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM
onehundred80
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter Issue or ?

Originally Posted by HPMotors1
Yep, that is indeed what it says about the fuel pump. But remember that the filter has FOUR outlets/inlets. Primary is in from pump and out to engine. Secondary are another return to tank and the joker is the outlet from the fuel filter/regulator valve itself - which also connects back o the tank - This is the small port labeled "can". If this valve sticks open it can bleed off pressure to the tank.

I would agree the primary check valve is in the pump.

All that said - no one has identified the metal can in my first photo. What the heck is that thing?

To quit beating a dead horse, I've bitten the proverbial bullet and ordered a Bosch pump from German Auto Parts in Charlotte NC. They are good folks I have dealt with in the past. Their store price is $145. Of course I shouldn't brag on them until I see if this does solve the base problem. Got the Bosch part number from onehundred80's reply - thanks! Still no clue as to why pump would fritz out when filter was changed.
I cannot see any wires going to it or it could be a shut off valve.

One Plus side of the XFire is that the external pump design makes it much easier to change. of course I also think this is what caused all of my problems - whoever heard of a filter with four lines? Internal tank pumps are simultaneously simpler and more expensive
Going by the look of it it looks like a pressure regulator or a relief valve and my guess is it should not be there. Is it possible that the filter fitted has no pressure regulator in it so this was added. I have not had to study that area, so I am guessing.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.