Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Dana_Holmes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAS ESP idiot light and soft brakes and pedal

Hi there gang! I have searched the forum on this and found many hits about the BAS ESP idiot light being lit but I have not found a situation just like mine. My 2004 Crossfire has a little over 16K miles and I hardly ever drive it. It sits in the garage year round on a battery tender and I start it and move it in and out of the garage occasionally. My daily driver Blazer had to go into the hop for transmission repair so I pulled the Crossfire out for some daily use.

The first day of driving and pretty much immediately I noticed the brakes felt soft and I have to push down extra far on the brake pedal to slow and stop the car. When I depress the brake pedal to the max it engages that BAS ESP idiot light every time. The light goes away when I shut off the car and restart it but will immediately return when depressing the brake pedal to the max. It has been doing this or two days now.

I don't know if this has a correlation but I will throw this out there. Last winter I kept hearing an occasional screech coming from my garage. It was intermittent but super loud like a bad auto alarm. But, at first I thought it was my water softener acting up because it makes weird calibration noises. I stayed out in the garage and narrowed it down to something inside the black fuse box next to the battery under the hood of my Crossfire. I took the battery off of the tender, started the car and let it run for about 30 minutes. I placed it back on the tender and it screeched I think one little screech and has not done it sense. Again, I have no clue as to whether that plays into the BAS ESP and the soft brakes.

Before I drove it this week I topped off the air pressure in all four tires. My brake reservoir is full with clear and clean fluid. My steering column is tight. I haven't noticed any blown fuses and I made sure they are all seated properly. One comment in the forum said to check your "50 amp" fuse and see if it is blown. I don't even have a 50 amp fuse in my Crossfire. Some guys also commented on replacing a "brake switch"? Where is the brake switch located and does anybody have exact part # so I can Google and also look on Amazon Prime for it? I have also tried the old turn the steering wheel completely left, right and dead center. That may turn the idiot light off but it still comes back when I restart and drive.

Thanks in advance friends! I need to drive this ride more. I am doing it a disservice. Dana in Washington State

Last edited by Dana_Holmes; 07-13-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: I spelled the acronym incorrectly.