Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Kurtp13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Bearing hanger replacement instructions available?

I have looked through several discussions and haven't found any specific repair instructions for replacing the center bearing hanger. Are there instructions that I have missed?

The Chrysler service manual appears to be overly cautious and suggests loosening the trans, dropping the exhaust, etc.

My take in what I’ve read so far is that the repair is much easier than the Chrysler manual instructions. But it’s important to get good access under the car. I have access to a hoist so that is not an issue.

Questions:

1) Does the whole drive shaft have to come out, or could it be disconnected from the axle and be slipped apart from the front section?

2) How does the bearing fit onto the shaft? The NeedWings site says you don’t need a press to ‘assemble’ the new part, but do you need a puller to disassemble it? It does seem strange that is doesn’t fit tight.

3) The bearing appears to just insert by hand installation into the rubber bearing hanger. Could the rubber mount be replaced without a bearing change? After all this is how many of the hangers are sold. Preemptively, I realize it’s better to just get it done all at once, so I am not looking for the suggestion to do both at once. I just want to know if it’s possible.

3a. The rubber has a molded shoulder for the bearing and I think this is oriented forward. I’m thinking if the bearing is good and there is no attempt to remove it and subsequently damage it, the rubber hanger could be removed over the splined section and a new one put on.