View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
latemodel21
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Replacing the crankshaft pulley

Originally Posted by Coyote
Thanks for the suggestion on using an ingersoll-rand impact drive. I have a Kobalt and it is not quite doing the job. As you can see in the image, the fan and shroud have been removed, I've got a friend who has one of those impact wrenches you mentioned, so I'm going to see if he can come by this evening with his.
Since you MUST tighten this by hand (148 ft lbs and then 90 degrees), you might as well use the same tool to loosen it. I use the crank holding tool (with a short length of pipe slid over it so it gets a better hold of the frame) and then I use a 3/4" ratchet (harbor freight set is pretty reasonably priced) with a 3 foot pipe slipped over it to loosen (and then later tighten) the bolt.

one thing that most folks overlook is that this is the PERFECT time to replace the $7 front crankshaft seal .... If you don't you will need to buy ANOTHER new bolt after you repeat the pulley installation process when you replace the crank seal. (don't oil the seal where the balancer slips through, this type of seal does NOT like that ... use a little spit on it if you want the balancer to slide in easy)

Hope that helps,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.