View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 03:03 PM
onehundred80
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Replacing the crankshaft pulley

Originally Posted by Coyote
Thanks to all who offered advice on this question. The work is done and the new crankshaft pulley is installed. Torqued to 148 ft. lbs., then an additional 90 degrees. That last bit was a bit tough, but got
'er done. The service manual said to not replace the seal unless it showed signs of leakage. Mine didn't show any such signs, so I left the old in place. And, after putting the caliper on the old bolt, it seems
that it is still within tolerance. But, I put the bolt in anyway. After the install, cranked it up and watched for wobble, shimmy or other non normal spin. All looked good.

I have a new belt ordered, which should be arriving today, but as the old on looked to be in good shape, I put it back in place for the test drive. Looks can be very deceiving. After leaving the house, I got on
a 55mph road. The car was warm, and there were no odd noises, so I stress tested it since the 2 mile ride to the 55mph 4 lane was quiet and nothing seemed to be falling off. Taking off from the next stop
light, I put the hammer down, spun the tires a bit and jumped up to 55 quite quick. Drove on this road for a couple of miles and turned around. Coming up on the next stop light, I noted the sound of a thunk,
and then another as I was slowing down. I'm thinking.... what did the pulley come loose, did the drive shaft finally go? Ruled out the drive shaft when I stopped and still hear the thunk a couple of times. pulled
over checked, and the new pulley is right where it it supposed to be and looking solid. Then, I'm like, what is that tube sticking up on the left side, and seemingly open... wait, that's my dipstick tube. Where's
the dipstick? Saw something about the right thickness laying the pan, but it was a bit dark and couldn't see it well. Got the parts grabber and pulled it up.... rubber. Looked at my belt and found one rib section
had been stripped off. Then I noticed the big tear in the hood blanket. Seems that a piece of the belt shredded (just one rib), but it must have grabbed the dipstick and yanked it out violently.

Thankfully, I found the dipstick in the pan. It looked fine, so I cleaned it up and put it back in its place. What an adventure. Will be putting on the new belt as soon as it arrives today.

Thanks again guys... I really appreciate the advice.
Belt ribs get torn off when the belt is not fully on a pulley, the overhanging rib is sliced off.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.