View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM
CBISJN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing the Fuel Pump and Filter

Thanks guys for responding.

I am replacing the fuel pump because I have been smelling gas outside the vehicle after driving it. I don't smell it inside at all, just when I get out of the car after driving for any distance. I had no leaks showing from underneath the car so I was a bit confused. Fortunately I have a friend that has a car lift, so I took it to his garage and we lifted up the car and removed the plastic shield for the fuel pump and filter. One of the hoses has some gas on it where it connects to the pump, so I initially thought it was a loose clamp. He suggested we lower the vehicle and I get in and he would lift up the car again and then I would start it when he was underneath.....Good thing I did because it was NOT a clamp or hose but the fuel pump leaking where the plastic is press fit into the metal section of the pump at the end. (see attached picture). So I have ordered a Bosch pump and also an OEM filter and I will be replacing both. The only thing I need advice on is how to de-pressurize the pump correctly. The service manual does say to disconnect the negative terminal off of the battery, which is why I asked about getting a code or check engine light. The other thread says to remove the fuel pump fuse and run the car till it stalls, then attempt to start a few more times. This also said it would lead to an error code. so my first question is: Should I remove the fuse and de-pressurize the system or remove the negative terminal off of the battery and de-pressurize, or both? My inspection sticker is due the end of this month so I would hate to get an error code if possible. My second question is about the clamps for the new pump.....should I seek out the OEM clamps or would fuel clamps, or even worm drive (nervous about these) clamps work just as well?

Regarding the link to the service manual.....I had no problems connecting to the english version. Here again is the link directly to the fuel pump removal section.....hope it works for you as well? I tried to use a link in a previous thread but it appears to be a dead link???

Chrysler Crossfire. Manual - part 682

THANKS again for any help you can provide.....Just trying to steer clear of the dealership and pay through the nose when I can do it myself with the help of my mechanic buddy. The pump and filter should be in by the end of the week.

It drips about once every second but it appears to dissipate before it builds up enough in the shield to make its way out the hole.