Thread: No Alarm Sound
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: No Alarm Sound

Originally Posted by Chooch
WRT the garage door opener:
  • In 2012, garage door opener security adopted a new "rolling code" protocol that is not compatible with previous remotes (like our Crossfire)
  • However, there is a solution - Buy a Homelink Compatibility Bridge for @ $25 sold wherever garage door openers are sold (HomeDepot, Lowes, Ebay, Amazon, etc.)
  • The Bridge will accept the old opener signal and convert it and retransmit it as a rolling code to the opener
  • But, you will lose the added security of the rolling code protection by using a Bridge
    • Evil doers MAY be able to open your garage by randomly selecting old codes with their own remote
    • The risk may be small: after 6 years of new garage opener sales, it is doubtful that thieves will be wasting time with the old technology
Our opener died and was replaced in 2012. I took the risk and installed a bridge when they became available as our vehicles had lost the convenience of having the HomeLinks
Cheers,
I have a new garage door opener and it works fine with the Crossfire, As far as I recall we have had the rolling code in Canada for a long time. There is a different way to set up the opener than that spelled out in the Owners Manual. The method outlined in the book does not work in Canada and I think the Owners Manual states that fact. The correct method is outlined on the Home Link site. My car was made for the US market.
Naturally I could be wrong but the above is how I remember it.

The Bridge seems only to be required on three makes of opener. Chamberlain is mentioned but I have two of them.🤔
I do not require a bridge.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.