Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Bargegeek
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Let’s publicly shame the key and SKREEM culprits?

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
180 - Thanks for your response. I talked with Rob at Needswings and told him I was just wanting to have a spare in case my SKREEM went out. His suggestion was to just drive my car and enjoy it as a toy and if the unit breaks down, face the problem then.

I was thinking of getting one of the salvaged units that are on ebay. They seem to be going for around $75 to $90 dollars, american. That being said, we then have to find someone who can enter my VIN number, that know's what they are doing. Who knows what that would cost. If the cost gets up to around $400 dollars, a new one is all the more attractive. Rob said he does not reprogram used units.

I'm like you; I hope someone comes up with a way to bypass the unit all together. Some of the other issues as well. I park mine in a garage at night and when not in use. If we take a cruise in it and stop to eat, I try to park where I can see the car. I'm not really worried about someone stealing it. It's insured and if it's stolen I'll just have to argue with the insurance Co.
I echo 180's sentiment and didn't take any of the earlier comments as a criticism of Needswings. Indeed, they are the most reliable and valuable resource for our cars and is where I purchased my new spare SKREEM.

Regarding the reprogramming issue, website Autokeypro.ca (located in Hamilton, Ontario) claims they specialize in reprogramming used SKREEMs and other electronic modules. It may be worth contacting them if you really do want to get a used unit to keep as a spare.

Lastly, I'm in Louisville Let me know via PM if you'd be interested in meeting up in Newport for a cocktail next summer and discuss our cars?