Thread: new top issue
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM
KeithTexas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: new top issue

Originally Posted by ZERACER
BUMP!!! any ideas folks?
Hi. I'm assuming you're following pizzaguy's procedure. I think I had the same issue about a year ago. Here's a cut-and-paste from a post I made back in January 2018:

I am one of those folks who bought a Crossfire with a non-automatically working top (2005 model). Thanks to Pizzaguy’s instructions, it’s been easy to manually raise and lower the top as I go through different tests to figure out what’s wrong. Someday I’ll find the switch or cylinder that isn’t working.

Today, I started the Pizzaguy procedure to lower the top manually and when I turned the hex key, I heard a click but the bow latch would not release the bow for me to manually lift it. It released it partially. But that’s all. By turning the hex key the other direction, the bow latch mechanism would tighten the bow back down.

But after trying unsuccessfully to fully unlatch the bow, I finally unscrewed the bow latch (four 30mm torx screws) and lowered the bow latch mechanism. I tried “exercising” it but it was not releasing the catch. All of the parts were pretty dry so I used some Phil’s waterproof bicycle grease that I had handy. After that, the latch would click and “re-****” properly. I screwed it back into place, turned the hex key, unlatched the bow, dropped the top, and got in a January ride with the top down in Austin, Texas. Sure is easier to do things when there are so many folks who share how the Crossfire works.