Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 PM
TRev4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interior Door Pull Handle Repair/Retrofit with Pics

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If you look at the seam on the bottom with a mirror you can see that the lip that is folded under the rear lip has some notches in it. You can pry it apart carefully at those gaps. I carefully used a thin screwdriver to separate the two halves. Separate the two halves evenly a bit at a time. Easy does it is the way to go. It
Not sure how to add my two cents to this thread but I took a try at repairing my handles peeling on the inside of my door handles. I bought some 2" chrome plated "Nashua" brand tape at my local Home Depot which I found has some good strong glue properties. I measured the inside length and cut two equal length strips. With the help of a small hand mirror I tried to straighten as many of the tattered pieces back in place with the use of a small flat screwdriver to minimize the bumpy seam area. I then carefully (that was the tricky part) placed the 2" strip so it would not show from the outside by allocating. I centered the three tape over the damaged seam by about an inch, smoothing from the center toward each end and finished on the bottom of the handle. This was done on a cool spring day in the shade and though I can still feel some bumpy areas, I've stopped the problem from getting worse, cut down on the use of bandages, and saved some expense. Don't know how the tape will hold up through the summer heat but I have confidence that it will.