View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 PM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Issues after transmission service

Originally Posted by Scotto97
Well the shop couldn't find the issue without asking for another $300 or so for a longer analysis, so I picked it up yesterday.

When I was shown a picture of the transmission fluid level, I noticed there are 3 separate brackets on the indicator:

The lowest bracket which is about 1/4" wide between the bars, a middle area which is around 1" wide, and a high level bracket also around 1/4" wide.

My level shows at 2/3 up on the larger middle bracket, it that filled enough to prevent the issues above?

The mechanic said that's the level they fill Mercedes 722.6 transmissions and never have high idle issues or P0505 or P0507 codes afterwards.

They also claim the Conductor Plate and connections from it checked out fine, there were no vacuum line leaks, and they cleaned up the Throttle Body.

Codes pulled off of Mercedes diagnostics were:

P20A2 - Idle speed control implausible:check system for unmetered air

P202B - Idle speed control implausible: (P0507) Short circuit to ground / open circuit (P0102)

Thoughts?
The height the oil level varies according to the oil temperature, cold oil = low oil level, hot oil = high oil level.
So the temperature of the transmission oil has to be taken into account when looking for the correct oil level. I’ll add a diagram in a while.
I use an infrared temperature gun on the oil pan or refill it when the engine has cooled long enough to be at the surrounding known air temperature.
The temperature has a large effect on the level also oil will be scattered around inside the tranny case and slowly trickle back to the oil pan.
It is not rocket science though.
It is covered in the owners manual quite thoroughly, you do have an Owners Manual I hope. ( OOPs I found this not to be true)

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-04-2019 at 06:25 PM.