Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
DualSportDad
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s

Originally Posted by Moore2575
youre a fine example of why i wouldnt take my vehicle to a dealership for service, someone that would go against IATN lol
while i see the value of IATN if you're a tech and your way of diagnosing the customer's concern is googling the issue or code then you are doing a huge dis-service to your customer's. they pay a diag fee for you to put your knowledge to work, to use the resources you have at hand and actually diagnose and confirm the issue. to think that something like a search from IATN would trump the manufactures definition for a code is mind boggling to me. to sit here and bash dealerships is amazing, dealerships have way more info than you'll ever find outside of the manufacturer. are you going to find bad techs at dealerships, absolutely, i see them come and go (and sometimes stay) all the time. I'm telling you right now though, I have the information I need to properly diag the car in front of me and iI know how to use that information and apply it. when I come to a conclusion iI know it's because I found the issue based on the info that was afforded to me, i'm not out there charging people to guess or take some stranger on the internet's word.

OP if the tech that is working on your car needs guidance to diag that code, tell him to check bus communication between the pcm and the skreem module. there should be a total of 5 volts (usually around 2.3x on the can - and 2.6x on the can+. good luck getting the car back up and running on the first attempt.