View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: HVAC Head repair

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Finally got tired of flocking with the HVAC head not turning on the fan (banging/fiddling head and trim panel at the head unit) and removed it to check internal pins connecting the two circuit boards. Removal was super easy with the radio tools, and the 2 trim face screws (in the radio opening) came out easily as well. Popping out the head, I brought it in to the house and separated the 8 or so plastic clips around the perimeter. Didn't see that clip at the rear that holds the one circuit board, so it separated the two boards right off. After getting out the board, I did see a little corrosion on all the pins. Used penetrating fluid, and soaked up the excess. Trimmed the plastic where the board hits (right side where the face printed circuit board hits the bottom rear circuit board) so it slides in a little more into that multi-pinned connector. Re-assembly was easy, and went back to the car to install it. For some reason, lining up those blasted two pins was a BEAR. Had that head out once before, did not remember having so much trouble fitting them into the two connections at the firewall. So, the big test? Assembled everything back into place, and cranked the car up. Turned on the fan, 100% works from start through all the speeds. Checked all air selection locations (floor, dash, mixtures) and they all worked great. A/C comes right on, and 'rest' function works as well. So, looks like I should get another 30K out of it but if not, simple to remove and do again! Seems no more banging that head/trim panel to get the fan to come on.

Thought there was a second tutorial for this HVAC head repair but couldn't find it in my doc collection...

There are three repair threads that I know of that mention this area, two are in this PDF basically by CL770. CLICK
and this one. CLICK