Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Heli-Cal Blue
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has Anyone Noticed Crossfire Windshields Having a Greater Propensity to Chip?

Has anyone noticed Crossfire windshields having a greater propensity to chip?

I've had a lot of classic-cars over the past 35 years, and still own a couple I bought more than 30 years ago. One such example is a 1966 beauty that I have driven DAILY for the past 15 years, unless I was laying it up a few days for improvements. A couple of them are a Mustang GT, and more recent Jaguars I own from the late 1980's.

Of these cars, all having their original glass, there is only one chip among all; which I bought the car with it (the daily driver) - of the combined lot of about 8 cars currently in my stable.

I've owned my SRT-6 now for 2.5 years so far, a 32,000 mile example, which originally had 28,000 on it when I bought it, and yet upon getting it there were a myriad of chips, and since that time the windshield is peppered with a few more specks and chips, to the point I can't make any sense of it.

I don't drive it on the highway much, and of the times I have, I avoid following trucks and construction haulers. However, a few weeks ago I watched a minor pebble kicked up by a 4X4 with monster-tires as it happened, left a poignant chip, whereby I know without a doubt had that minor pebble hit any of my other cars, it would have deflected no more than had it been a moth.

Has anybody noticed this as a commonality? Right now it's about the only thing that doesn't look new about the car. Even the front fascia, hood, and the headlight lenses are virtually chip-free compared to the windshield.

Last edited by Heli-Cal Blue; 06-09-2019 at 06:28 PM.