Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 AM
avgarcia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear-lever shift assembly stuck and limp mode

Hello,

I am taking care of my Mother's 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster (possibly limited edition) with a gear shift assembly that will not move out of park. The indicator on the dash board is a solid black rectangle and does not show P for park. When inserting a pen to manually depress the locking mechanism, I can move the lever into drive. Once in drive, I can move it up and down, until I move it to park, in which case it will get stuck again. When I drive the vehicle, I suspect that it is in limp mode because the RPMs rise to 4000, but I do not feel the automatic transmission increase gears. Therefore, I cannot drive the vehicle anywhere safely.

I towed the car to a mechanic who informed me that I need a new shift lever assembly. However, Chrysler stopped manufacturing this part since 2017. Some exist on eBay, but I nor the mechanic are certain that it will fix the problem. Nevertheless, the mechanic believed that switching the assembly could fix both problems.

I have a friend with mild experience repairing cars and is willing to lend me a hand. However, we are unsure if buying the part on eBay and installing it will fix the problem. We would appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice, etc. on this topic.

Thank you all!