Thread: New owner
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 03:30 PM
KeithTexas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New owner

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
NO. Do not do that. While we did do that in one shop I worked at, it seemed to cause more issues than it resolved; the policy was dropped in maybe a year. First of all, you are messing with an electrical system while it is energized, when you do this, that alone is a risk. Let the battery positive cable touch ANYTHING that is at 'ground' and you just caused yourself some potential issues - the least of which is that the 12 volt supply you are using just blew a fuse, and your presets are lost anyway.

One thing we finally DID realize, was that we had fewer issues by using a neat trick to stop the inductive kick that happens when the battery is disconnected and the new one connected: Adding low resistance across an inductor decreases inductance. So, how do you do this? Easy, in order to more safely change the battery, do this (the steps in red are the "inductive kick" suppressing steps, the rest is standard safe practice):
  1. Shut engine off.
  2. Turn high beam headlights on, if you have fog/driving lights, turn them on as well.
  3. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  4. Disconnect battery positive cable.
  5. Cover battery positive post (just a caution, if not just be careful to not lay tools across posts of battery - the spark can ruin your day).
  6. Yank old battery, dispose of properly (I burn all my old batteries, the smoke is really pretty.)
  7. Put new battery in place, fasten down the clamp(s) and restraints that hold it.
  8. Clean, with a wire brush, the inner contact surfaces of the battery clamps.
  9. Pull off the protective cover from the positive post (that should be there on any new battery).
  10. Place anti-corrosion wafers around the posts on the battery (or do step 14).
  11. Connect positive cable.
  12. Connect negative cable - some minor sparks will fly from post to clamp, do not be concerned.
  13. Turn lights off.
  14. Spray anti-corrosion spray on the posts and terminals (if you did step 10, this step is optional but never a bad idea.)

You have now down a "Throttle reset" as that information is lost without the battery in there. Some radio presets will also be lost unless you have a JVC radio.
This procedure works!!! I finally got the courage to replace my battery. I've had the '05 Roadster for two years and never could decode the age of the battery from the info on the top of the battery. (Turns out the date was near the bottom of the side of the battery and was 3 years old.) I was worried about changing the battery because of potentially having my Kenwood Model DNX891HD lock up AND the unknown factor of a Clifford/Viper remote start/alarm system that the previous owner had added. I received ZERO information from the specialty car dealer that I bought the car from two years ago.

I set the security setting in the Kenwood to OFF before disconnecting the battery. But I was still worried it would lock up. With regards to the remote start system, (which has never worked), I just kept my fingers crossed.

I followed Pizzaguy's procedure to the letter and everything is working fine. I guess that's another dinner I owe him.