View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 PM
onehundred80
Received 564 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

Originally Posted by g wheels
I have a question. I've only had my crossfire for 3 weeks. It came with one key. I've been looking to buy another but there's a hitch. The carfax shows that in 2011 the "Lock cylinder(s) recoded" and "Ignition lock cylinder replaced".

When I told this to the live chat person that was struggling to understand me, he told me they couldn't sell me a new key.

What does the term "recoded" actually mean and does the replacement of the ignition lock cylinder mean I no longer have the OEM key? The one fob and key that came with car looks VERY well used. Thanks for any insight..
My guess is that the electronic part of the fob is OEM but the key part has been changed to fit the new lock cylinders that were replaced. Dealers were inclined to replace all the lock cylinders when they were fixing the Sticky Key problem. These new cylinders came with there own keys that fitted them, they then threw away the OEM key part and fitted the new keys to the OEM fobs.
The phone rep was confused when you mentioned recoded locks and decided you could not have a new key, maybe they saw you as a potential security threat. I would order a new key but not mention the recoded cylinders, when you get the key get a new key cut and fit it in place of the existing OEM one that comes with the new fob.