Thread: SKREEM question
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 PM
onehundred80
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM question

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I keep seeing this 'paper test' reference BUT... IF there WAS water in there (from any source) and it DAMAGED the pump then the 'paper test' will ONLY tell you if there is water in there NOW. The lower part of this 'bay' is sealed (unless you did like I did and punched holes in those two rubber plugs). Any water that WAS in there could have wet the module, dried out, and slowly degraded the module. There is also another module (cannot remember what it is though) that could have also been wet at some time. Hence, removing all the trim mentioned above (or below according to the order you read the posts), to verify the modules are CLEAN of damage, and DRY. Doing only the 'paper' test removes a potential source of a recurring intermittent electrical/electronic problem source from those two modules. To each his/her own, just be informed the 'paper test' might not be enough.

I guess not knowing where this MB mechanic is, how he/she prices their parts (retail vs wholesale) and how much that shop needs $ (unless you want to do it self help), my assessment with that price is reasonable. Now, doing it yourself will involve researching the needed part (pretty easy unless you don't want to) and then saving all the labor including a shops overhead, will just cost someone the price of the part and some time. Again, to each his/her own!

If you think stripping and then replacing the items back into the trunk is fun then go ahead. I never tell someone to commit a major operation or buy expensive parts that may or may not be required.