Old 01-04-2020, 10:42 AM
wolfstalker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Buying a Crossfire - common technical issues/problems?

A solution to the SKREEM issue was developed by MDP in Florida after much work. They can repair your SKREEM module and get your car back on the road in short order. They repair your SKREEM module so you don't need a new one. They did mine quickly and for less money than Chrysler (FCA) wants for the part, which they still don't have. Look at the Sticky thread and contact MDP and they will tell you what you need to send them. My car was down 13 months because of this SKREEM snafu. It was fixed and remains so - drove it yesterday - by MDP.

The module itself is made by SIEMENS and was/is used in a lot of MBs. It is in stock in the MB parts computer, and if you have an MB SLK with this problem any MB dealer can get the part (allegedly) programmed with your vehicle specific code. How that happens AND WHERE IT COMES FROM seems to be a bit of a mystery - one MB parts manager said it gets coded in Stuttgart, which I doubt but of course, with them, anything is possible. SIEMENS makes the part for them at some factory of theirs in Central Europe, perhaps Hungary. Since the lawyers got involved in this it's hard to get accurate, definitive info about anything. The Dr. Strangelove types treat the whole issue as a Secret of State.

Just for the record, I'm still delving into this fiasco, and it seems that MB is the problem, more so than Chrysler (FCA). I'm going back to FCA this week and will post any info I get from them, but I think, unless something changes, the way to go is with the MDP fix.

Last edited by wolfstalker; 01-04-2020 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mountain_Villager (10-13-2023)