View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Mackel
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Introducing myself and Top Hydraulics from the Oregon Coast

The two main lift cylinders for my roadster started leaking so I struggled to decide on a partial or complete rebuild.
This forum said that if one cylinder leaks they soon all will so most recommended a total replacement of 5 cylinders.
The name Klaus at Top Hydraulics was frequently mentioned as being a master at rebuilding the original cylinders at
$750 for 5. At one time there was a very in-depth thread on the forum that documented the replacement process with
tons of pictures. Unfortunately, TinyPic has folded and took all the aforementioned photos with them. Next I went to the
service manual which actually only added to my stress level.

I was really beginning to question my ability to do this.

Then I discovered that Klaus at Top Hydraulics has a YouTube video showing how to remove and replace each of the 7 cylinders
involved in the top operation. Now we're getting somewhere. After carefully watching each video my confidence level rose to
the point of checking out Top Hydraulics website. www.tophydraulics.com I was pleased to learn that Klaus currently offers..
all 7 cylinders ( the five lift cylinders along with the tonneau cover lock with cylinder and the bow lock with cylinder) for $1750
with $1000 refund upon return of your old cylinders. $750 net for all 7. The beauty of this arrangement means you can remove
a cylinder and immediately replace it while it is fresh in your mind how you got it out.

I ordered them on Saturday, received them by 2-day FedEx Wednesday morning, installed all 7 by myself on Wednesday and Thursday
and shipped the old ones to Klaus on Friday. I frequently referred to Klaus' videos throughout the process. I cannot say enough in praise
of his videos. I could not have possibly done this job without them. No way.

Thank you, Klaus Witte and Top Hydraulics.

If you are considering replacing your hydraulics watch Klaus' videos, screw up your courage
and go for it. If I can do it, you can do it.

Last edited by Valk; 05-17-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added Video