View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:57 AM
amx1397
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I'M BAAAAAAAAACK!!! Got the 1 replacement pin bushing today, opened it up carefully and went out and soldered the three new pin bushings into the 'B' connector at 2, 4, & 5. Reassembled the connector, but before I plugged it in and rode off into the sunset, I opened/inspected with a big mag glass, the rest of the small and large pin bushings in the 5 connectors of the RCM (BTW, they are officially called by MB, Pin Bushings!). After triple checking all parts and that they were back in their normal places, (and holding my breath), I cranked it over and it started right up. THEN STALLED, then started right back up again (I was ready for that, being off the battery for a while wiped the computers). So, for $18.12 and quite a lot of time, sweat, beer, worry, more beer, and a few curses followed by more beer I am BACK!

As promised, the MB part number for the LARGE pin bushings in the connectors of the RCM, is ( 003 545 26 26 ).

A follow-up to a past post! After I received the replacement NEW pin bushing today, I closely, VERY closely, inspected the assembly of it. YES, assembly of it. The crimp near the top at the point where the solder traps the wire, has a 'sealing disk' (my words) crimped into (inside) the pin bushing at that 'bulge'. This DISK caps the top of the pin of the RCM, and most likely keeps any solder (during assembly) from flowing down the 'sleeve', making it a non-issue of preventing the pin from being stopped when plugging in the connector. It also 'cups' the liquid solder allowing it to 'fill' that top portion while the wire is attached/soldered. Seeing this, it makes sense that improper assembly of the three pin bushings in that one connector in the harness jig (when manufactured), is what caused the three to fail on my car PERIOD.

IF it happened to mine, it MIGHT happen again to someone else (or has already happened) and cost a whole lot to remedy (selling the car, huge repair bill, etc, etc).

Backed out of Garage after the complete repair!

glad you got it fixed,,,, if mine happens to mine I will bring it up to you ,,,and let the expert fix it. in fact i will be in Blairsville Ga soon we go to a lot of waterfalls ,, maybe there is one or more near you, and we can meet up for lunch , we hope to go up in July and come back in November jim

Last edited by amx1397; 05-27-2020 at 09:01 AM.