Old 07-22-2020, 01:08 AM
Heli-Cal Blue
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need NEW NOS/OEM Driver's Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

I received part Mercedes SLK 230 part today (Left: 170-720-03-24) and looking at it, I'm skeptical.

The outer lip seal looks right, though the front angle is a bit different at the mirror with more of a straight edge than a curve; but what concerns me is the back-end portion and how the Crossfire piece seems to be 'liquid' as one single 2-rung piece that connects without separation and serves as the inner seal as well.

Does anyone have any good photos of BOTH the OEM/stock Crossfire Coupe inner weatherstrip and outer belt window weatherstrip out of the car/disassembled? (Part #5161453AA)I Googled-searched for images and could not find a good representation.

Because by just eyeballing it, the inner rubber shroud portion on the Crossfire at the rear that envelopes/sandwiches the glass doesn't look similar at all. The Crossfire piece looks as if it is one integral continuous unit that serves as both the inside and outside seal, forming as two rungs connected at the back end by one mold, rather than one outer, and one inner, as the Mercedes piece appears to be - with that back portion having a broader web of rubber covering the back window surface corner. The Mercedes piece appears to be scalloped out more which would leave more of opening.

Now if the inner is truly a separate piece, then maybe that outer piece doesn't matter, but I just can't see a break or separation point or lip between what is the inner and outer portions of the window seal on the actual Crossfire part - and the anemic line-drawing diagrams as shown below seem to confirm the same, now that I look at the Mercedes piece I received and those drawings of the SLK part vs. the Crossfire diagrams.

That seems to be confirmed, as the parts-diagrams for the Crossfire don't indicate a separate inner seal-strip part number (unless that is included as part of the inner door panel diagrams.)

I don't want to start taking it apart for discovery it's not going to suffice, if what I'm seeing is in fact the case:

THE CROSSFIRE DIAGRAM SEEMS TO SHOW PART #2 AS A SINGLE PIECE THAT SERVES AS BOTH THE INNER AND OUTER SEAL - even though descriptions label it as "outer seal" part #5161453AA - yet in the diagram it seems to have a "slot" where they window goes between, whereas the Mercedes diagram seems to show just one-half of that as 2 parts, #4 and #5 in that diagram:

THE MERCEDES SLK-230 DIAGRAM SEEMS TO SHOW TWO SEPARATE HALVES AS PARTS 4 & 5, AN INNER AND A OUTER SEAL - (PART NUMBER 4 IS THE PIECE I RECEIVED - 170-720-03-24 AND #5 IS 170-690-09-62 .)

===========================