View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Rlbarnes
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Power top module repair

Hello pizzaguy and anyone else who followed this. Thought this deserves a follow-up as to the outcome on this top not working. First, I appreciate all your posts regarding this topic as it has helped me and many others. This car has been in storage since last summer and I just pulled it out yesterday to go after this again.

I did get a used PTCM on eBay and replaced the module. The car battery has been on a battery minder and is at 12.5 volts at rest after 24 hours. With the car running, I tried the top down again but no dice. The windows went down all the way (to confirm they did go down all the way before too) and the top down switch just beeped continuously. The divider switch, top open switch, and trunk latch switch all work. So now I was going to go through the manual top down and raise sequence to see if it would need a sync, but just then I noticed the dome lights not working when I open the door and find that the fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again, so now I am faced with another problem. I check the wiring schematics and see it also feeds a portion of the Body Control Module at C4-75. I start disconnecting harness connections in the circuit to isolate a possible short. I had the central locking harness and the tow sensor harness disconnected and replaced fuse. It didn’t blow. Hooked everything up again and fuse didn’t blow and the dome lights worked again. Tried top again to see if maybe now it will work. VOILA ... everything works now! So now Im curious if the original PTCM will work. I put the original PTCM back in and it worked. So now I have a spare. In the end this is still a head scratcher. It started with removing the battery for storage and when I put it back the top didn’t work so I am guessing the system lost status because in the end I replaced nothing.

Still would like to know why fuse was blown (#9 on schematics but it is #13 on my 2007) as I see a recent post that had the same fuse blow. I don’t recall it being blown originally when the problem started as I checked al the fuses before.

Any way all is good now ... and you’ll be happy to know that I won’t be going back to the dealer for this car. And as you previously noted “ never seen a PTCM fail”. This car is a mental challenge for sure. I’ve printed out schematics for power top, SKREEM, central locking, etc and now have a full binder.

Cheers,
Randy