Thread: battery drain
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 03:14 PM
GraphiteGhost
Received 418 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Re: battery drain

Originally Posted by kernol2
Hey everyone,

With your help I was able to replace my main cylinders for my convertible top!!!! Thank you. Now I have another concern. Something is draining my battery. I have checked all of my fuses, both sides under the hood and the side panel of the driver side dash. All are working fine. Not sure where to go now.

Experience with a drained battery. First time it happened, I drove 15 miles to work, came out from work and needed a jump. Took the battery to my mechanic, fully charged. Put the battery back into my car, drove to work, again 15 miles. During my drive to work, a demon took over my car. Battery light flashing, abs light flashing, doors locked while I was driving, and the light sensor came on. Parked my car, came out from work, and yes, you guessed it, I needed a jump to get home.

Not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Cathy

Hi Cathy, when you get it running what is the voltage at the battery? If lower than 12 volts, check the alternator and associated wiring to it back to the battery. A few owners have had corrosion real bad inside the cables at the connecting points (and or the battery posts themselves). IF the voltage is still low with clean battery terminals and cable ends, check the output from the alternator. Some of the local auto parts stores (advance/auto-zone) has a simple voltmeter they can help you check with. They also have the testing box to check a variety of battery/alternator issues. I would go to 2 different places and compare what each said (without letting the other know you are going or went somewhere else).