Old 09-19-2006, 03:49 AM
+fireamx
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need advice; may be taken advantage of by repair shops

crossfireGal, sorry to hear you're having troubles with your car. A front end shake, vibration, or misalignment that pulls in one direction or another all can be very annoying, and work together to make driving a chore rather than a pleasure.
Going strictly by what info you supplied, it sounds to me that you can blame the pothole for all your problems. I don't believe that Crossfire's in general have bad rims though. The damaged wheel problems happen alot because of the low profile design of the tires that the Crossfire comes equipped with. There isn't much of a "sidewall" on our tires to absorb road hazards like potholes, curbs, speed bumps etc. and that in turn passes much of the shock to the wheel. Aluminum wheels don't withstand much abuse. The fact that your "toe in" was so far out of wack, is good evidence that the pot hole did you in.
A tire that's badly out of balance can cause a tire to "dance" or jump around and cause the cupping effect that you mentioned. But another thing you might have damaged is your shock, which can cause the very same thing. Also "flat spots" on your original equipment tires can cause dancing too.
If you have been driving around with the bent wheel, and it hasn't lost any air pressure, then chances are, it's not bent bad enough to cause you any severe tire damage quickly, just balance problems. But I wouldn't wait too long before replacing it. If you watch EBAY, you should get some idea as to what a good price for a replacement wheel is. I would think that you could beat that $407 price tag by a wide margin.
I'm sorry I can't give you any advice on the air pressure monitors, I've had no experience with them yet.
As for anything being covered under warranty, Chrysler will probably tell you to try harder to steer around the potholes, because they aren't covered. That's when you can tell them to cough up some cash and buy the proper equipment they need to service the cars that they sell. Good Luck.