View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM
CaptainHero
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Used Key 2004 Crossfire

Originally Posted by Bmtomar
so you don’t believe a used key can be programmed to the pcm and skreem? The only route is getting a new key?

yes. I’ve read a lot of threads on this forum and spoken to locksmiths and the consensus seems to be that the Crossfire key cannot be virgin eyes and reprogrammed like many other key fobs. If you can get the SKREM from the car that your steering column and key came from they should work together. The chip in the Crossfire key fob is matched 28 chip on the SKREM also referred to as a VIN tide key. You can read all about why this was done to prevent theft of hire and vehicles in Europe somewhere on this forum. If cost is the main sticking point SOS diagnostics quoted me a price of $65 to make a valet key which would start the car but you would not have keyless entry functions. You would still have to send your SKREM so they could decode it to program the transponder chip in the new key. You should have come here looking for help before buying the steering column and ignition cylinder with key as you could have put that money toward a new key that would work in your ignition and door locks. there would still be a $50 charge from SOS for decoding your SKREM in addition to the $65 for the valet key. It was almost a year ago when I contacted them so their prices may have changed. If the cost of getting your Crossfire back on the road is too much to bear, perhaps another Crossfire owner in your area would be willing to buy it for parts and you could get your money back out of it.