Old 09-09-2021, 11:35 PM
SD Crossfire
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hello, new Crossfire owner, make sure to check your air box!

Hello everyone, I'm a long time fan and now proud owner of a 2004 Crossfire Limited Coupe. Manual tranny, less than 100K miles, great paint, nice interior, drives fantastic, very happy with the car so far.

However, while getting ready to do an oil change & other basic maintenance stuff, I started looking into the engine cover/air box assembly and noticed it wasn't sitting correctly in the throttle body. Likely done during the recent smog check, so not too worried it allowed too much unfiltered air into the engine, but the big issue I found was that both air filter boxes weren't completely secure due to a few broken screw mounts. In fact, one of the screw mounts broke off as I was just unscrewing the box!

I took them apart and noticed some light dust on top of the filters, which means that some dirt did get past the air filter assembly and directly into the engine. Both were K&N filters, they didn't seem to fit too well and one of them had a crack in the seal. Luckily I found a good condition replacement air box on EBay with all the screw mounts in tact, should be here in less than 2 weeks. I will in the meantime gerry rig this air box, drill some holes so I can use bolts to secure the air filter boxes, this way I can still drive the car for now. I will pick up some paper filters tomorrow since these K&N filters are a bit wonky in fit.

The oil has about 8,000 miles on it, but still looks rather clean, so I'm hoping that any debris that got into the engine wasn't too much. I will have a Blackstone Lab oil analysis done just in case to see how the engine is doing and how much particulates were in the engine. In finding this out, I just wanted to warn other owners to keep an eye on their air boxes. Make sure not only that it's secured correctly on the throttle body, but maybe a good idea to remove it and check the 8 screws/mounts holding the 2 air filter boxes in place. Looks like they can get fragile over the years, which can risk your whole engine if left like that for a while.

Last edited by SD Crossfire; 09-10-2021 at 12:04 AM.