Old 04-04-2022, 08:57 AM
nemiro
Received 459 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Re: The "Can you believe they did that?" Thread

I spent 2.5 days cleaning, sanding, and finally painting the windshield trim and the side strakes.

Here's the on topic content:
As I was sanding through the windshield trim that was painted with a paint brush (no joke), I sanded through that silver, which was thick, and then came to a new color. Pink! Sanding further revealed a purple layer! Sanding further found a re-spray of silver. Finally after that, the original silver was found. Smoothed it all out, and the new, correct silver went on nicely via HVLP gun. Next I need to get the car back outside, since the whole area under the windshield trim needs to be pressure washed to remove leaves and grime, and then and arduous chore of scraping off the clear caulking and other various adhesives people used to hold the trim on. Hint: if you use a caulking gun and at least three tubes of caulk, the trim will stay on.

General knowledge:
I figured out (as I am sure others have previously) that it easiest method for the side strakes is to break out the Dremel tool and mill out the plastic welds, separating the silver and black pieces. I then reattached them with epoxy. Will try to get some pics, but it all came out great. Interior panels have been selectively removed, and repainted with SEM color matched paint. Slowly, but surely, the car is becoming a respectable crossfire again. I also prepared a complete set of spare windshield trim, and a set of strakes for my SSB car. The strakes are extremely time consuming, but I think the end result will be worth it. Now I need to figure out how to get the door handles off, and shoot them, as well.