View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 11:42 AM
GraphiteGhost
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Re: ugh! crankshaft position sensor

Originally Posted by Jack G
Does anyone know if MB has over the years encountered continuous problems with their 3.2L engine cam and crank position sensors failing. It's hard for me to understand why XF's have so many problems with position sensors. They are basically very simple devices which should last for a long time. Maybe the problem is within the control receiving the pulse signaling from the sensor.
My 2005 roadster has 36K miles and I replaced the cam and crank sensors with Bosch. The original sensors are good and now in my trunk as spares. I replaced these sensors based on the posting info found on this forum.
Has anyone ever formulated a very simple easy-to-follow list of things to check or steps for recovery when problems occur on the road? If not, this would be very helpful to many especially those who are not technically knowledgeable about even some of the basics of our XF operation.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack, MANY of the (if not all) CPS sensors going wacko was/is because non-Bosch sensors were used AND it seemed the connectors were of a design not compatible with the crossfire terminals at the sensor connection. When Bosch branded (non-cloned) were procured, the problem went away. This has been my interpretation of the CPS/XF issues for the majority of CPS related issues where the CPS 'circuit' was the fault location.