View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 08:24 AM
kowaltoboggan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seeking help with top

Good people,

I have developed problems with the onvertible top on my '05 Roadster. I followed (even printed the whole thread!) Pizzaguy's convertible top troubleshooting page and followed it. The top seems to close when open, but when closed and I turn the D handle the windows go down and the rear window unlatches from the tonneau cover, but then everything stops.

Following the troubleshooting guide, I first checked and cleaned the divider switch in the trunk. That didn't seem to work so I bypassed it. It worked once after that and I celebrated too soon. I then turned attention to the top open switch (above the passenger's head). I cleaned that switch with electronics cleaner. It switches. Top still doesn't work. I found a replacement top open switch and replaced that little bugger. I finished that today and when I tried to open the top by turning the D handle the windows went down and the rear window popped loose from the tonneau cover and everything stopped again. Meaning -- no change. Top still doesn't work. Not frustrated yet but getting there. To be honest, I didn't notice a difference between the old and new top open switches. They both clicked. Could it be something else?

I am in South Africa. I say that because my XF is my ride to the office and the weather is generally very nice here almost year round (think southern California). I used to use my top daily without any trouble. However, since the problem started, I am stumped. And the worse part is that I don't know it is bad until the back window pops out of the tonneau cover and then everything stops. That means to get it back down, I have to pop the license light, push the little bellows to free the trunk lock and then manually lock the top back into its closed position using that little allen wrench. Just a PIA.

I had installed all new cylinders from Top Hydraulics. Did that last year. Am wondering if one of the Hall Effect sensors could be causing this trouble.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

John