Old 02-17-2023, 05:29 PM
nickwe21
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Why did car magazines give the Crossfire a bad rep?

So I recently came into a few different car magazines that features the SRT6.
One was Car & Driver "First drive of the Crossfire SRT6", the other one was Automobile Magazine "Driven - Chrysler Crossfire SRT6". The third one was a German Magazine named Auto Bild and it had probably the most detailed, technical oriented and informed comparison between the Mustang GT, SRT6 and the Corvette C6.
​​​​​​Besides some cool photographs all three had less than favorable opinions on the SRT6. The American magazines seemed almost like as if they didn't really drive the vehicle and just took the specs sheet from Daimler Chrysler and ran with it. Nobody but the German Magazine even questions the 330 hp output, while being the same vehicle as the Mercedes SLK32 AMG which as we know was listed with 349 hp (354 ps).

Car and Driver seemed to enjoy the torque performance of the Crossfire but as most, criticized the plastic interior, felt the car was cramped for people over 6 foot (I'm 6"3 and never had an issue in neither Coupe nor Roadster even though I do like that the roadster has a few more inches above my head).
​​​​​Of course the lacking steering wheel rake adjustment was brought up and they felt the trunk was too small and had nothing to tie down the goods (what??).
One of their biggest cons was that the ride felt stiff, and a nightmare on uneven pavements or country roads.
THat opinion I do not share at all. My NA Coupe was more of a grand tourer, comfortable ride. Felt almost like an E or C class. The SRT6 is, as one would expect, more sporty and more tight and therefore has a better feel to the road. I would not say it's stiff or uncomfortable in any facet. It's my daily driver and never had an issue.

Automobile Magazine found that the Crossfire "lacks a compelling character unless you're absolutely smitten with the styling"...interesting as I find the styling to be one the biggest strong suits of the Crossfire.
They did however compliment the engine and Kompressor while at the same time complaining about the high price point that put it in the same range as Porsche Boxster S, SLK350 and Corvette.

The German Magazine felt that it's difficult to load the trunk and that the Crossfire seats were too hard and too uncomfortable for long rides. They also criticized the blinds spots, which according to them makes parking a guessing game.
In the end, they felt the Mustang GT won between Corvette and Crossfire mainly due to its legendary image and V8 engine for a price that's quite cheaper than both C6 or SRT6.
They found that the SRT6 should have come with a V8 and that all around it felt too European for an American Muscle or Sports Car. What exactly that means and how that's a bad thing, I'm not so sure.

Of course the classic like the recirculating ball steering, the bad look of the wing and the fact that the vehicle doesn't come with a manual tranny were also mentioned here and there.

I remember reading several similar articles about the NA Crossfire. It seems like the cars never quite received the respect they surely earned in my book.
I would bet all those magazine spoke highly of the Merc 32 AMG just a few year earlier.
It's funny how the plastic interior always gets torn apart. For me I have always felt more comfortable in the Crossfire than the SLK320. Never been a fan of that wood trim of the Mercedes and the steering wheel looks much more modern in our cars, too.
I still think the door handles are a thing of beauty and the mirrors are hands down the most beautiful mirrors I have ever seen on ANY vehicle. The exciting shapes, angles and curves from the Crossfire are unmatched and even the SRT6 was worth the price. What's your take and have you read any favorable articles on our cars?
​​​​

Last edited by nickwe21; 02-17-2023 at 07:48 PM.