Old 02-19-2023, 10:02 AM
Padgett
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Why did car magazines give the Crossfire a bad rep?

Also writers tend to like what they have and what they want. Everyone talks about and wants an early Shelby Cobra (in 1966 a fried bought one for $1995 and then it was an AC Cobra, yet another Euro car with a honking American V8 like the Facel-Vega (don't have a bucket list any more but an HK-500 with dual-quad Hemi & Pont A Mousson was onnit). or Cad-Allard.(were also American Cars with a big honking V8 like the Fordillac and Studillac but Euros were smaller and sportier..

Have had many (when friend picked up the Cobra, I acquired a Devin Jag built on a triple carb, gold head XK-150s. With a set of D type cams and 48COE Webers, the Jag had the most beautiful exhaust note ever heard (rivaled at the time only by a Novi or a Corvair on trombones) and was faster on the skinny tires of the time.

For me the only fault of the R-170 cars is a lack of a voltmeter (easy) or oil pressure gauge (harder) and must admit that having lost a lot of weight I do fit better.

So need to remember that magazie writers are usually paid by the word and takes less knowledge to criticise than to praise.

Can say I never met a car I didn't like (deprived yout) but two come close: a 60 Ford Galaxie and Daimler SP-250 .