Old 03-02-2023, 03:20 PM
nickwe21
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Cabin moisture on carpet at the rear of seat floor after heavy rain?

Originally Posted by SD Crossfire
I actually did buy one of the best (and expensive) fitted car covers for the Crossfire. However, they will tell you there isn't anything completely waterproof, water will get beyond the car cover if it rains enough, either directly or due to condensation build up.

The problem is the old paint on these cars are usually very porous. What will happen is that the water that is trapped under the cover, if enough of it, will stain the paint, sometimes permanently if it gets deep enough.

I found that out the hard way last year. Luckily only one small area was stained enough to require repaint, the rest was buffed off. I do use the cover during the heat of the summer, great way to protect the paint.
Interesting! If was of the opinion a car cover shouldn't be completed waterproof as it should allow moisture and ventilation to get through and evaporate on the surface. Was always told if it was a rubber cover that completely blocks out water that would be a bad thing.
That being said my NA Coupe used to be outside for 12 years. Always used a cover here in Florida to protected from sun and rain and debris etc. Never had an issue. I find the paint to be highly sturdy and durable. There is a Crossfire that sits out 24/7 and all year round in my neighborhood. While the other vehicles next to it are all washed up that Crossfire looks great. Emblems were faded but besides that looked great.