View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 09:02 PM
Coyote
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Demon Rattle - I have tried everything

Originally Posted by rtmopar85
Yep, it is mostly fixed. It was the exhaust. The muffler shop bent the bracket slightly above the top of muffler. When hot the exhaust would expand just enought to close the gap to the point of causing the rattle. Sure did sound like the hatch. I do still have a very light rattle on occassion which I really think is on the passenger side of the hatch. I had backed the bumper off a little to much on that side. I just need to tweek it a little and I should be good. Its not very noticeable so I haven't been in a hurry.

One note to everyone, if you have had your exhaust worked on in any way and develope a "demon rattle", it is more than likely right at the top of the muffler and bracket. Very close tolerance from the factory, just a couple of millimeters expansion can get you a rattle.

I've recently developed a rattle, but I do think mine is something in the resonator. At least, that seems to be where the noise is coming from. I'm wondering if some idiot tossed a rock into my exhaust (I'm not the kindest person to bad drivers. especially those who sleep at stop lights or stop at green lights), or if perhaps a piece of the internal cat material. Wondering if it is possible to cut out a section of the resonator bottom, fish out what is in there and weld it back up. As an alternative, I've got a 79" parts grabber on the way, to see if it is possible to snake it down the exhaust into the resonator and grab what is there (I'm not an exhaust knowledgeable guy, or then basics). But, I'll also look into the hanger issue. But this definitely sounds like a rock bouncing around. Quite embarrassing, actually.