CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   What did you do to your Crossfire today? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/49053-what-did-you-do-your-crossfire-today.html)

ala_xfire 06-06-2012 02:28 PM

Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Got the EuroTune done with the CAI / 74mm installed - ZOOM ZOOM !!!

gunner1374 06-06-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 677104)

So, a nice, noticeable power increase then huh?? Good to hear. Hopefully, I will have mine soon. Just did my exhaust, so have to give the wife time to recover before I spend more, lol

lildaddym 06-06-2012 11:40 PM

After spending a couple of hours on these fog lamps, this is what I ended up with...anyone have any idea how to fix it?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...0000179MOD.jpg

onehundred80 06-06-2012 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 677104)

So a EuroTune turned it into a Mazda.:p

BoilerUpXFire 06-07-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 677200)
After spending a couple of hours on these fog lamps, this is what I ended up with...anyone have any idea how to fix it?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...0000179MOD.jpg

It looks like you did not use the correct abrasive from the picture. You need to start with something that is a little more abrasive, but not too high of a grit because you need to be able to polish out the scratches, gradually. You start with a lower grit, then move to a very high grit (3000) over several stages. You can try wet sanding as well when you get to the higher grit stuff. If you dont sand down until you get rid of the rock marks (most of them, anyway) then you will never really be happy with the turnout, but keep in mind, if there are deep ones, you may not be able to get them out, only make them look a little less noticeable by knocking off the edges...

ala_xfire 06-07-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 677202)
So a EuroTune turned it into a Mazda.:p

Yea, a really fast, fat Miata

lildaddym 06-07-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire (Post 677248)
It looks like you did not use the correct abrasive from the picture. You need to start with something that is a little more abrasive, but not too high of a grit because you need to be able to polish out the scratches, gradually. You start with a lower grit, then move to a very high grit (3000) over several stages. You can try wet sanding as well when you get to the higher grit stuff. If you dont sand down until you get rid of the rock marks (most of them, anyway) then you will never really be happy with the turnout, but keep in mind, if there are deep ones, you may not be able to get them out, only make them look a little less noticeable by knocking off the edges...

I used this kit from 3M:

Restoring a Headlight 3M US DIY drill drills clean cleans clear clears restore restores cloud cloudy haze hazy scratch scratches scratchs yellow yellows headlights fog light lights tail taillight taillights signal plastic plastics car cars auto autos

Not to totally hijack the thread, but what should I be using? Please be specific about what grade, etc.

ala_xfire 06-07-2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 677290)

Meguires Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit - $25-$30

lildaddym 06-07-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks for the pointer! I will see if I can find it!

BoilerUpXFire 06-07-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 677290)
Not to totally hijack the thread, but what should I be using? Please be specific about what grade, etc.

It does not tell me what grit of SP is included in the kit, but please keep in mind, these kits are designed for plastic and poly lenses, not the glass of your foglights.

You will need to play around with it to see what will work, and I am hesitant to give you any exact answer as I have never done this particular job and do not want to tell you something too gritty and have you be upset with my advise when you can not polish out the scratches. You need to keep going with something heavier until you get the desired result. It should not take you hours, either.

PM me if you want to continue the conversation for the sake of everyone else.

Hope this helps.

lildaddym 06-07-2012 05:30 PM

I don't think the P1000 will be coarse enough...should I go to a P600, perhaps?

user 72983 06-07-2012 06:31 PM

Detailed today for the weekend drive.

Cleaned the muffler tips with Simple Green and elbow grease....
Then a senior moment...I started to detail, and after 2/3 of the car done, realized I still had the Simple Green in my hand:(
It is clean though!

Mrmiata 06-07-2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 677341)
I don't think the P1000 will be coarse enough...should I go to a P600, perhaps?

Without first hand knowledge here, but if these are actually glass.. a short trip through google tells me throw the sandpaper away.

lildaddym 06-07-2012 11:03 PM

They're not glass...

onehundred80 06-07-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata (Post 677384)
Without first hand knowledge here, but if these are actually glass.. a short trip through google tells me throw the sandpaper away.

They are glass as far as I know and to get out any pits means a thou or so has to be ground away. Diamond dust is good for polishing glass and some other stuff you can buy, not cheap and it will take a long time.
Probably not worth the effort in my mind.

lildaddym 06-07-2012 11:12 PM

They sure don't sound like or feel like glass...don't weigh enough, either...I stand to be corrected if we can get a definitive answer...

Mrmiata 06-07-2012 11:15 PM

Good to hear! LOL.. Okay let me now throw in my .02 worth.. when I got my car she had pretty yellow headlights.. my first rodeo with headlights too. I had some "wore out" 800 grit wet and dry from using on my Miata... and that is what I went after my headlights with, not bearing down but just light pressure and then went to polishing with car polishing compound and final buffing with car wax and they looked very respectable at that point. Previous owner was very surprised at how good they looked. Have since moved to products for headlights, but have no regrets or undesirable results from from my initial attack on them.

Edit:
Okay.. the great debate has begun.. I vote glass.. when applying headlight protectant at work.. I broke out the blue magic headlight restorer on my fog light...which not being "overly" concerned as they don't look bad..but did do a "huh"... didn't seem to polish out at all..

Edit..Edit.. Wasn't there a 12:30 am infomercial "scratch magic" or some such for filling the scratches on your glasses.. but wait order now and we'll double your shipment?

Edit..edit..edit..
After looking at your pics.. and your description of "don't feel like glass...".. I'm thinking tempered glass.. which could be thinner.. lightweight.. and expensive to replace.. like the 400 dollar price tag that comes with used ones? What do you get when you sand on glass? A highly undesirable result?

coolx 06-08-2012 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Mrmiata

Edit..edit..edit..
After looking at your pics.. and your description of "don't feel like glass...".. I'm thinking tempered glass.. which could be thinner.. lightweight.. and expensive to replace.. like the 400 dollar price tag that comes with used ones? What do you get when you sand on glass? A highly undesirable result?[/QUOTE]

Ok - my 2 cents worth, they are glass. I wanted to remove the pitting so I got out my Dremel and used a coarse grade sanding disc. To my horror the disc dug into the glass and scuffed it and I thought I'm only making it worse! Not to be deterred, I put the finest disc I had on the dremel and I was able to polish out the scuffs as well as remove all the pitting. see post #754

lildaddym 06-08-2012 10:35 PM

You guys are right, it is glass...so I can work it out...plan on doing it this weekend...so, I should use the finest discs I can find? What about the initial disc you used? Skip that? How do you mount your discs? I just have the part that goes in the Dremel...

coolx 06-08-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 677526)
You guys are right, it is glass...so I can work it out...plan on doing it this weekend...so, I should use the finest discs I can find? What about the initial disc you used? Skip that? How do you mount your discs? I just have the part that goes in the Dremel...

This is the first sanding wheel I used. DO NOT USE THIS ONE - it scuffed the glass (but it also told me that the glass was penetrable)

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...2012214500.jpg
This is the one I used, it took all the pits out but I had to be careful or it would scuff the glass...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...2012214606.jpg

I used the discs on the bottom right of these three, the dark blue X...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...2012214706.jpg

And the finishing touch, I used a combination of rubbing compound/headlight polish and steelwool pad. It was pretty tedious, I was watching TV and polishing during commercials for a couple of hours (I watch TV anyway so I made it productive time lol)
I have to say if I can do it anybody can do it...so geter done!