CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   Can spiders cause problems in the Crossfire? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/72264-can-spiders-cause-problems-crossfire.html)

onehundred80 08-08-2015 11:57 AM

Can spiders cause problems in the Crossfire?

Read this and decide if we could potentially have problems. Remember the Crossfire gas tank that was crushed due to the negative pressure in it?

maxcichon 08-08-2015 02:12 PM

Re: Can spiders cause problems in the Crossfire?

I would LOVE to explain that claim to an adjuster.

I don't think there is anyway in the world a web could block the lines tight enough to hold that kind of pressure. I would think it would take .5 bar (1/2 atmospheric pressure/7.4 psia) to start collapsing the tank. Do you? You're an engineer. Whadda' ya' think? I just work with vacuum systems alot.

Enough of a plug to throw a code? maybe, yeah?

onehundred80 08-08-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 844518)
I would LOVE to explain that claim to an adjuster.

I don't think there is anyway in the world a web could block the lines tight enough to hold that kind of pressure. I would think it would take .5 bar (1/2 atmospheric pressure/7.4 psia) to start collapsing the tank. Do you? You're an engineer. Whadda' ya' think? I just work with vacuum systems alot.

Enough of a plug to throw a code? maybe, yeah?

True enough but suppose some other part collapses first, like a rubber hose. The physically weakest part is the first to go in scenarios like this, causing a chain reaction at times.
Can a fuel pump suck the chrome of a trailer hitch?

maxcichon 08-08-2015 04:32 PM

Well, that would depend on the fuel pump and the hitch, no?

LOL!

Aren't our gas caps vented? Or hermetically sealed? I suppose that the issue of the "loose" caps throwing the EGR code, sealed would be my guess.

Keep a can of Raid in the Bug Out Bag next to the Instant Detailer?

onehundred80 08-08-2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 844538)
Well, that would depend on the fuel pump and the hitch, no?

LOL!

Aren't our gas caps vented? Or hermetically sealed? I suppose that the issue of the "loose" caps throwing the EGR code, sealed would be my guess.

Keep a can of Raid in the Bug Out Bag next to the Instant Detailer?

They are vented through the charcoal canister and keep a slightly lower pressure in the tank when the cap is on to prevent as much pollution escaping as possible.The gases in the tank go out through the engine. There is a valve that operates at times to release the gases. Something like that anyway, I have forgot most of what I read at one time.:
This is not your dads gas tank.

maxcichon 08-08-2015 05:34 PM

Yep. And Nope. I guess I knew how it worked-if I had the energy to think about it.

onehundred80 08-08-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 844543)
Yep. And Nope. I guess I knew how it worked-if I had the energy to think about it.

Thinking at my age hurts so I try to avoid it as much as I can.
I think I was once smarter than I am now but maybe that's just an illusion.

waldig 08-09-2015 09:29 AM

Just my 2 cents, not a spider. A wasp with a mud plug could be a better chance at high negative pressure. Id think that 1/2 Bar negative would deform the tank but that is a bunch for a pump to do and it would require running the fuel out in a short time, not over days. W:confused::Ddy

onehundred80 08-09-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 844589)
Just my 2 cents, not a spider. A wasp with a mud plug could be a better chance at high negative pressure. Id think that 1/2 Bar negative would deform the tank but that is a bunch for a pump to do and it would require running the fuel out in a short time, not over days. W:confused::Ddy

Here is a blast from the past, a collapsed gas tank in a Crossfire, although no insects are blamed here.
Marvel at the price of a new gas tank from Chrysler, I'll take two and keep one as a spare.:rolleyes:
No insects just leaches.

rush549 08-10-2015 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 844536)
True enough but suppose some other part collapses first, like a rubber hose. The physically weakest part is the first to go in scenarios like this, causing a chain reaction at times.
Can a fuel pump suck the chrome of a trailer hitch?

I knew a girl...

Trenzman 08-12-2015 03:08 PM

Can spiders cause problems..... Only if they are crawling up your leg or face while your driving :D