All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

The Old Smell of Crayon Question

Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Old Smell of Crayon Question

I would like to start of with saying I truly apologize for asking this question as I know it's been brought up and thrown around. With that said, I am new to the Crossfire and I have done a lot of web searching in regards to the source of the burning crayon smell. On the surface, some begin with the cabin filter, running the air circulator and spraying a can of deodorizer in the car. After these failed attempts, we move onto the source of the smell is the undercoating used in some German cars. I am pretty sure this is the root of the problem but what I haven't found is where anyone has gone as far truly attacking the issue and finally getting rid of the smell. My gut tells me the undercoating is under the car as well as in the interior and removing or spraying over it is simply out of the question and I must live with the smell. I love my SRT 6 but the burning crayon smell is really intense.
Any help will be truly appreciated.
John

Old 05-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: The Old Smell of Crayon Question

Any damp spots under the carpeting?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 PM

No, all is dry.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Actually, along the lines of carpet, if I was to pull it all up, is there any suppliers for replacement? I was thinking I would go as far as pulling it all out and spraying the floor with some type of sealant but would this solve my problem? Yes, I am pulling my hair out on this one.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JTFS
I would like to start of with saying I truly apologize for asking this question as I know it's been brought up and thrown around. With that said, I am new to the Crossfire and I have done a lot of web searching in regards to the source of the burning crayon smell. On the surface, some begin with the cabin filter, running the air circulator and spraying a can of deodorizer in the car. After these failed attempts, we move onto the source of the smell is the undercoating used in some German cars. I am pretty sure this is the root of the problem but what I haven't found is where anyone has gone as far truly attacking the issue and finally getting rid of the smell. My gut tells me the undercoating is under the car as well as in the interior and removing or spraying over it is simply out of the question and I must live with the smell. I love my SRT 6 but the burning crayon smell is really intense.
Any help will be truly appreciated.
John
I read once before on here about placing a box of melted crayons in all of your other cars so you won't notice the Crossfire smelling odd anymore... Besides that crayon smell is trademark and you won't even notice it after a few miles down the road especially if you keep on the supercharger...

Last edited by KDW4Him; 05-13-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the undercoating. This is the standard Crossfire smell, mine had it when I bought the car though it has diminished significantly over time so yours should too.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Trcky-Dck
Had the best reply yet to this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey847
I've got a few friends who drive Volkswagen Jettas, and if anyone on here has ever owned one, then you may know that the interior has a tendency to smell like crayons. The other day when a buddy of mine got in my car, he said it smelt like crayons. My first reaction was, "Oh great!" I just figured I was used to it, however, while driving tonight I realized that it REALLY DOES SMELL LIKE CRAYONS! From reading on a Volkswagen forum, they seem to think that it's the dash plastic that excretes this smell. So, any ideas (other than a tacky air freshener) on how to eliminate this smell? Or does anyone else notice this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Trcky-Dck
You could try dating older girls.

I can't beat that. Best come backer for a long time, it was in 2011. PRICELESS!

Europe has stringent laws concerning carcinogenic fumes from adhesives, paints, plastics, materials etc. Adhesives are water based and I think that the smell comes from them. Whatever the cause, it is better than smelling the formaldehyde and petroleum products we were exposed to in the past.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-14-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Trcky-Dck
Had the best reply yet to this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey847
I've got a few friends who drive Volkswagen Jettas, and if anyone on here has ever owned one, then you may know that the interior has a tendency to smell like crayons. The other day when a buddy of mine got in my car, he said it smelt like crayons. My first reaction was, "Oh great!" I just figured I was used to it, however, while driving tonight I realized that it REALLY DOES SMELL LIKE CRAYONS! From reading on a Volkswagen forum, they seem to think that it's the dash plastic that excretes this smell. So, any ideas (other than a tacky air freshener) on how to eliminate this smell? Or does anyone else notice this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I can't beat that. Best come backer for a long time, it was in 2011. PRICELESS!

Europe has stringent laws concerning carcinogenic fumes from adhesives, paints, plastics, materials etc. Adhesives are water based and I think that the smell comes from them. Whatever the cause, it is better than smelling the formaldehyde and petroleum products we were exposed to in the past.
But Dave, we all LOVE that smell-health not withstanding!

Old 05-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get the car Zeibarted with their under coating spray ! You won't smell burning crayons any more !

Old 05-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JTFS, There have been several fixes for the crayon smell. They are in the SEARCH files. There is a product that is placed in the car when closed up for a period of time that will eliminate the smell. I have read it but don't remember where. Don't give up, there is a cure for this problem. Perhaps others can be of more help.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Red Runner
JTFS, There have been several fixes for the crayon smell. They are in the SEARCH files. There is a product that is placed in the car when closed up for a period of time that will eliminate the smell. I have read it but don't remember where. Don't give up, there is a cure for this problem. Perhaps others can be of more help.
See Valks post titled - My Crossfire got bombed today.
He used a bomb inside his car. A Meguiars air freshener product.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-15-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
See Valks post titled - My Crossfire got bombed today.
He used a bomb inside his car. A Meguiars air freshener product.

YUP !!! And it worked

click >>>
My Crossfire got bombed today

Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 AM

I don't like the smell of Megs odor eliminator but it can really eliminate the bad odor.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Crayola is MY fav crayon!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 PM

That's what that is?? I always thought it smelled like old ****.

Had someone ask me if I pissed myself once.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Pull the seats and shampoo the carpet with deodorizer and change the cabin air filter with a new carbon one. That will last for a few months.... maybe. Now that it's Summer the heat makes it come back.

On a whim I picked up a can of Zep Smoke Odor Eliminator at Home Depot to try out. This stuff works much better than the Meguires bomb believe it or not. This is some super heavy duty, kill the stank in a Las Vegas hotel room odor remover. I sprayed it directly on the carpet. Only 5.00 for a big can too.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 PM

I purchased a parted out Crossfire years ago. The carpet was in very good condition,so I pulled it out for a keeper. You wouldn't believe the thick foam blocking made onto the carpets backside. Tossed the carpet in the corner of my kitchen with plans of neatly packing it away in a storage room the next day. Well the crayon odor from the foam backing was so powerful that I throwed it into a dumpster. Squirrel Crusher

Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM

Yep, I saw the foam when I pulled the carpet back to get to the amplifier. That's when I figured out where the smell was coming from. After I bought the car in Dallas and was driving it home to Austin I couldn't keep the windows rolled up for long. Reminds me of a brand new travel trailer I bought once. The formaldehyde from the glues would burn my eyes and throat, not good. At least this ROHS glue won't kill you from off gassing fumes.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 PM

There is nothing like the smell of crayons in the morning.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:32 PM

Has anyone tried AFM SafeChoice, Carpet Seal?
Good find, I'd be interested in that.

Quick Reply: The Old Smell of Crayon Question