All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Third Party Extended Warranty/Service Contracts

Old 08-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Party Extended Warranty/Service Contracts

Unfortunately, I totalled my SRT-6 back in March, and just found another I'm planning to buy to replace it. I bought my unfortunate Graphite "baby" several years ago from Carmax, which allowed me to get their MaxCare bumper-to-bumper warranty covering everything with a $50 deductible for 7 yrs/100K miles from purchase. Some folks have had bad experiences with CarMax warranties, but mine was fantastic, and it definitely saved me at least 2-3 kilobucks over the 4+ years I owned the car.

I've found another SRT-6 in great shape (and <40K miles) that I'm going to buy, but I want to buy an extended warranty, as these things (esp. the SRT-6) can be pretty expensive to fix. (I met a guy a few years ago here in Austin who dropped nearly $10K on a new supercharger, and only managed to get a bit more for it when he sold it right after the repair...)

It turns out that CarChex will still sell me a bumper-to-bumper plan even on an SRT-6, due to the low mileage. (It's quite a bit more than what I paid for the CarMax warranty, but the car was only 7 years old then as opposed to 12 now...)

Does anybody 1) have any experience with CarChex extended warranties? or, 2) have recommendations for a good third party extended warranty available for a car as old as an SRT-6?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Re: Third Party Extended Warranty/Service Contracts

The Better Business Bureau gives them an A+ rating but they have multiple plans to choose from that cover various components. Be sure you do due diligence and compare yearly cost verses possible repairs. If you are mechanically inclines you can get good info on repairs on this site.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an automotive service writer. I deal with third party warranties daily. The Maxcare warranty is one of the best. That warranty is actually handled by The Warranty Group.

https://www.thewarrantygroup.com/consumers

I've never dealt with or heard of Carchex, so I can't comment specifically about them.

I just dealt with a mechanical warranty through Geico for the first time. I never even knew they had a mechanical warranty product. I called in a list of problems. They sent an inspector out and blew off everything except one repair. I'd not recommend them.

Did you check with Chrysler to see if they'd sell you a warranty?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I am an automotive service writer. I deal with third party warranties daily. The Maxcare warranty is one of the best. That warranty is actually handled by The Warranty Group.

I've never dealt with or heard of Carchex, so I can't comment specifically about them.
Thanks for the info! The CarChex warranty is by The Warranty Group, so that's great news.

For others who may qualify, TWG has extended warranty plans for lots of cars, even older ones, but most of those cover only listed components. Their "Titanium" plan, though, is a bumper to bumper "exclusionary" plan that covers everything except a list of exclusions, mostly maintenance & wear items. It's not cheap, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow, especially now that I know MaxCare is a TWG warranty, too.

The bumper-to-bumper plan is not available on cars over 10 years old, UNLESS the mileage is under 40,000 mi. (The mileage limit may ratchet down with age - I don't know anything other than it's 40K for a 2005 right now...)

Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John

Thanks for the info! The CarChex warranty is by The Warranty Group, so that's great news.

For others who may qualify, TWG has extended warranty plans for lots of cars, even older ones, but most of those cover only listed components. Their "Titanium" plan, though, is a bumper to bumper "exclusionary" plan that covers everything except a list of exclusions, mostly maintenance & wear items. It's not cheap, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow, especially now that I know MaxCare is a TWG warranty, too.

The bumper-to-bumper plan is not available on cars over 10 years old, UNLESS the mileage is under 40,000 mi. (The mileage limit may ratchet down with age - I don't know anything other than it's 40K for a 2005 right now...)

Old 08-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know what you find out , after you talk with them.