All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Loose silver trim

Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Loose silver trim

Hi guys!

The passenger side silver trim piece alongside the windshield is loose. What would be the best way to tie it down? I know there are clips and they probably are "gone" meaning they don't attach to the frame anymore and came loose.
I had the top piece tied down before by a body shop while I was already there but Id assume they "glued" it in.

Thanks for the help guys don't want it to fly off.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Loose silver trim

The clips are not glued in place. The factory used two sided tape to apply the clips to the trim piece. It is the tape that has given way AND it can easily be replaced. The top center trim piece must first be unclipped, then the side pieces. I pried up the trim from the window side of each pieces, but some say it is easier from the metal side (the side not touching the glass) Get some plastic pry tools from any auto parts store and some 3M two sided tape. Probably under $15 for it all, and carefully go to work. Once you have the trim off, use the new tape to attach the clips to the trim. You haven't lost any clips. They are simple loose from the trim. The clips are still attached to the car.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
The clips are not glued in place. The factory used two sided tape to apply the clips to the trim piece. It is the tape that has given way AND it can easily be replaced. The top center trim piece must first be unclipped, then the side pieces. I pried up the trim from the window side of each pieces, but some say it is easier from the metal side (the side not touching the glass) Get some plastic pry tools from any auto parts store and some 3M two sided tape. Probably under $15 for it all, and carefully go to work. Once you have the trim off, use the new tape to attach the clips to the trim. You haven't lost any clips. They are simple loose from the trim. The clips are still attached to the car.
Thanks Steve, I may just do this for insurance

Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I took mine off, scuffed up clips with a wire wheel, and the plastic trim where clips mount.
Went to a place that installs windshields and got some of their urethane and re attached clips, let dry and re install, I have tried acouple tapes and expoxy, but with temperature changes and different materials shrink and expanding different broke the epoxy.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I would apply double sided 3m tape also when you put it back together, after the top center trim piece blew off I reenforced the new one with 3m double side tape.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ever lose a clip, you might check for used clips from a body shop. They usually have drawers packed with them and they might let you pick out some for a few bucks - but it's kind of a scavenger hunt. In Miami, I bought some from a shop that does windshield replacement. Instead of using 2-sided tape, the glue I used to attach it to the trim was GE Iron grip adhesive. Mopar Parts Source and Chrysler Parts Inc also have Crossfire clips for windshield molding you can buy online.