All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Odometer fraud?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Odometer fraud?

Maybe this is old news. But, yesterday, there was a segment on the "Full Measure" program reporting on how devices have gotten very cheap for rolling back the odometer. They reported that the devices are now sold on eBay for under $300. Here's a link to the YouTube replay of the show. It's only 5 minutes long.

About half-way through it, the reporter states something about Mercedes cars from 10 years ago stored the odometer data in multiple places/modules...making it more difficult to reset odometers in those cars. I'm wondering (and hoping) that that's true for the Crossfire.

The report also states that the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) says 450,000 cars are sold every year with altered odometers. I had no idea it was that many.

I know there are some maintenance records that get fed into the CarFax, etc. systems. And maybe state inspections record the yearly mileage.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Odometer fraud?

Originally Posted by KeithTexas
Maybe this is old news. But, yesterday, there was a segment on the "Full Measure" program reporting on how devices have gotten very cheap for rolling back the odometer. They reported that the devices are now sold on eBay for under $300. Here's a link to the YouTube replay of the show. It's only 5 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_AMBBNk2A

About half-way through it, the reporter states something about Mercedes cars from 10 years ago stored the odometer data in multiple places/modules...making it more difficult to reset odometers in those cars. I'm wondering (and hoping) that that's true for the Crossfire.

The report also states that the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) says 450,000 cars are sold every year with altered odometers. I had no idea it was that many.

I know there are some maintenance records that get fed into the CarFax, etc. systems. And maybe state inspections record the yearly mileage.
Apparently you can put any other Crossfire cluster from another car and change your mileage immediately.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: Odometer fraud?

This is why service records are so important as they show dates/mileage at time of service. Also inspection reports, etc. Most owners have at least a few of these for inspection. If no proof of mileage then buyer beware. This is one reason Carfax (although flawed) exists.