All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Engine noise Please help.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine noise Please help.

Can someone please listen and look at these two YouTube videos and tell me what's going on.
https://youtu.be/ja1XJOEFCyQ
https://youtu.be/zckIxv3zAhk

Old 08-19-2022, 06:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Engine noise Please help.

~ After listening to both videos, I can only guess at what the noise might be. Since the engine was at an idle, I assume that the supercharger is not engaged. I have been told , perhaps mistakenly, that the twin screw impellers turn even without the clutch engaged, albeit slower than if they were "clutch engaged". Those impellers have bearings on both ends. If (guessing here) the bearing on either end is worn for some reason, I imagine, since those impellers inter twine as they turn, that they may be hitting each other causing the noise. That's all I can think of. Good luck with it...
~ Next Guess ?

Old 08-19-2022, 08:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
~ After listening to both videos, I can only guess at what the noise might be. Since the engine was at an idle, I assume that the supercharger is not engaged. I have been told , perhaps mistakenly, that the twin screw impellers turn even without the clutch engaged, albeit slower than if they were "clutch engaged". Those impellers have bearings on both ends. If (guessing here) the bearing on either end is worn for some reason, I imagine, since those impellers inter twine as they turn, that they may be hitting each other causing the noise. That's all I can think of. Good luck with it...
~ Next Guess ?
The belt is off the SC. I thought it was the SC so I took off the belt and noise still there. Does it sound like vacuum leak or backfire in the tb. Thanks for help.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Received 385 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
The belt is off the SC. I thought it was the SC so I took off the belt and noise still there. Does it sound like vacuum leak or backfire in the tb. Thanks for help.

Is it possible the twin screws in the S/C free spin from airflow even without the belt installed (when clutch isn't engaged)?