General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

It's a sad day in the USA !!!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry It's a sad day in the USA !!!

Budweiser the King of American beer goes import ! What's next folks ???

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...Anheuser-Busch

How many Americans will be put out of a job if corporate offices move from St. Louis to Belgium ?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: It's a sad day in the USA !!!

Originally Posted by Stogey

How many Americans will be put out of a job if corporate offices move from St. Louis to Belgium ?
Stogey,

I really don't think the merger will replace most workers here in the states. Maybe some high up corporate types. I think all of this would happen anyway even if breweries in the U.S. merge.

Beer is dear to my heart. I think I was weaned on it. The one advantage I could see is maybe InBev would start brewing some of it's brands here in the U.S. like Becks. I know the light beers are popular here, but I prefer more taste from my beer and like Canadian and German beer and beer from the U.K. such as Harp and Guiness.

Here's Lookin At Ya ! Cheer's

Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Budweiser just like 99% of the domestic beer is **** in a bottle, maybe the quality will improve with the merger. We can only hope, until then I will keep drinking the significantly higher quality import beers.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 AM

I guess you guys are missing the point !!!
Another Corporate USA Giant goes abroad ! Am I the only one bothered by this ???

Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess you guys are missing the point !!!
Another Corporate USA Giant goes abroad ! Am I the only one bothered by this ???
I guess it really doesn't bother me much. It's good to have other countries interested in investing in our country.

I hate Bud. I'll continue to drink Shiner anyways.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 AM

I highly doubt they will move the operation overseas then ship everything here, lol. Regardless, maybe they will do a better job marketing the "good ole' boy" beer and improve the quality to boot. It is all those crazy unions that are killing all the big business in America, until we get rid of them and stop paying janitors $60,000 a year to sweep the floors, Electricians $80,000 to change a light bulb and all the strikes they go on that end up making companies here unprofitable and unable to compete in the world market you will keep seeing these American companies dying off or being sold to companies in other countries.

I always get a good laugh out of seeing these union people crying on tv about how their company went bankrupt and left them without a job when a few months earlier the company had told them they could not afford to meet their union demands and if they are forced into it they will go bankrupt. Then wouldn't you know it the mindless union drones are on tv a few months later crying and wondering what happened, lmao.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 07-14-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular

It bothers me that another large American company is now foreign-owned, although in a free market world economy, this is certainly going to happen. I'm not sure that many jobs will be sacrificed as I can't see InBev operating in the States without a headquarters here and comapnies like this do not buy these assests to contract, but to ultimately expand.

I'd probably feel more strongly about it if I didn't consider Budweiser to be such a crappy beer in the first place.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with pretty much everything posted above. With the merger, perhaps will come quality.

I haven't had Budweiser in YEARS.... Pretty much the only beer I drink these days is Weihenstephaner Heiffe Weiss... $12 a six-pack, but it is damn worth it LOL. Lowenbrau and Bischoff are good ones as well.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 AM

Great site for those that love beer: www.ratebeer.com

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 AM

This is the same thing as is happeneing to many UK companies - now owned or controlled from abroad. I know the investment is good but the profits are going into a different economy.

Wait until your public utilities are contracted to French or whats coming next, Chinese companies!

Im a patriotic not racist person but sometimes the state of both the US and UK economies suggests we have lost a war or something.
Hope I dont come accross as too hard line as im not, im just a fan of home grown businesses or business with a pedigree. Although saying that both our household cars are a Dodge and a chrysler which is uber rare for a UK household with those brands being minority makes in the UK. Then again there are no UK makes of car left so why not buy US if I like them.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by chuck65
Stogey,

I really don't think the merger will replace most workers here in the states. Maybe some high up corporate types. I think all of this would happen anyway even if breweries in the U.S. merge.

Beer is dear to my heart. I think I was weaned on it. The one advantage I could see is maybe InBev would start brewing some of it's brands here in the U.S. like Becks. I know the light beers are popular here, but I prefer more taste from my beer and like Canadian and German beer and beer from the U.K. such as Harp and Guiness.

Here's Lookin At Ya ! Cheer's
I'd be a little more worried. InBev is known for being cutthroat and ruthlessly efficient. They will gut the executive board and fill it with their people, then cut costs on the assembly line, whether that means laying off half the workers or taking the brewery to a different country. I'm not a Budweiser drinker, but this does not bode well for the U.S.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 AM

Sorry to see an America icon get sold to Europe weather I drink Bud brands or not. The American dollar being devalued is the cause of foregn buying at $70 a share US versus $1.56 or so Euros it calculated to about $44 per share there cost, cheap.. Unions what about the bloating at the top of corporate ladder are they really worth multimillions in salary with stock options I think not. Won't even be able to Buy American soon to bad for us..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 535 Likes on 366 Posts

The Bush family are damm near my neighbors. Trust me this won't effect them much. The brewery workers will continue to produce the AB version of Pepsi for adults. Just fewer of them will do it.

When In-Bev starts to stalk Sam Adams I'll get worried.

roadster with a stick.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by herfire
Sorry to see an America icon get sold to Europe weather I drink Bud brands or not. The American dollar being devalued is the cause of foregn buying at $70 a share US versus $1.56 or so Euros it calculated to about $44 per share there cost, cheap.. Unions what about the bloating at the top of corporate ladder are they really worth multimillions in salary with stock options I think not. Won't even be able to Buy American soon to bad for us..
Hit the nail on the head HerFire ! Regardless whether you drink Busch Products or NOT !!! Another American Icon bails and goes overseas !

Last edited by Stogey; 07-14-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you know, under German Law, Budwieser beer is not legal to be sold as beer, because it's not beer! To qualify as beer it has to be made with real hops.
If you had the displeasure of tasting Budwieser you would quickly notice the taste of corn in the beer, it has no hops, thus is why it sucks!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM

It is mass produced using the cheapest ingredients possible I am sure, lol. I bet the guy that stands there watching the bottles go by on the assembly line to make sure the labels were applied to the bottles is making $70 or 80k/yr in union money and if the labels are screwed up then he has to call another guy making $100k/yr to come and press a button to stop the machine because pressing the button is not in his union job description lmao.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Did you know, under German Law, Budwieser beer is not legal to be sold as beer, because it's not beer! To qualify as beer it has to be made with real hops.
If you had the displeasure of tasting Budwieser you would quickly notice the taste of corn in the beer, it has no hops, thus is why it sucks!
Say what you what about the Pepsi of beers, you info on the HOPs, that's just plain bull.

I worked in the plant here in St. Louis as an outside contractor. Lotta pride there. And they use hops. Just take a wiff next time you're with in a few blocks from the brewery. Corn, they ain't makin' bourbon. Where do you get this stuff?

It isn't sold in Germany because the name, Budweiser is a current, old existing brand in Germany, from the town by the same name. It's a trademark issue.

roadster with a stick.
St. Louis native for 62 years

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-15-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
It is mass produced using the cheapest ingredients possible I am sure, lol. I bet the guy that stands there watching the bottles go by on the assembly line to make sure the labels were applied to the bottles is making $70 or 80k/yr in union money and if the labels are screwed up then he has to call another guy making $100k/yr to come and press a button to stop the machine because pressing the button is not in his union job description lmao.
I've been in the plant. The bottles go by at 1,550 per minute or faster. The guy watching is actually looking at a strobe excited monitor of at least two lines simultaniously. Everything is electronicaly controlled via PLC's and intergrated CPU's controlling multi axis Servo drives. When it goes down, he needs to be damm near a physisist to unravel the mess. Yes, he makes about $80 grand a year total package. He earns every bit of it.

There are a lot of union issues in the plant. Productivity and quality are not among them.

roadster with a stick

BTW for the record, I don't drink Bush products. But not because they are low quality. They are the highest in the industry. I simply prefer a heartier beer, which means I can only have one as compared to the lower alcohol Budweiser.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would hate to be the Budweiser Brewmaster. Can you immagine having to taste that beer day, after day, after day? I'd have to go home each day and wash my mouth out with a German Hofbrau.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Great site for those that love beer: www.ratebeer.com
Thanks for the great beer site. I couldn't find Billy beer on it. You remember Billy beer don't you? It was named after Billy Carter, president Jimmy Carter's brother. It's kind of ironic that this thread is about Budweiser because when Billy beer was being sold it cut into Bud's profits and they decided to investigate. Bud scientists sent an unmarked vile of Billy beer to an independent lab for analysis.

When the sample came back it said "We're very sorry to inform you that your horse has diabetes.

I think that we have become numb about the corporate mergers and buyouts. It's all a part of globalization and we better learn how to compete. One big plus on the rising oil price is it is costing countries that export to the US more to ship their products here and I read that some companies are returning to the US. Our weak dollar also makes our products cheaper to buy globally.

I certainly have empathy for anyone losing their jobs because I lost mine after 20 years with Champion Spark Plug so I know how it feels. Luckily I was able to transfer into engineering for another 5 years and left on my own.

Quick Reply: It's a sad day in the USA !!!